Monday, December 1, 2008

Neat Old Stuff: Christmas Cards of Yore

Today's Neat Old Stuff features these deliciously nostalgic holiday photo-cards that my mother's family sent out in the fifties:

(1954) Grandma, Mom, Aunt Patty, Aunt Betty, and Gramps

I absolutely love this picture! It was taken by a family friend who was a photographer for the Albany Times Union. I am not sure who did the script at the bottom (maybe another staffer at the paper?), but isn't it great?! (If you haven't noticed from our blog header, I am a little bit ga-ga for vintage fonts.) And why don't they put the deckle-edges on photos anymore?

Here's another:

(1957) Aunt Patty, Mom, and Aunt Betty

This photo was taken by the same photographer at the front door of the house in Westport, NY where my mom grew up. They removed the screen. She tells me it was still warm out at the time, but they donned their gay apparel for festivity's sake. I love the way it looks like the script could have been painted on the door, but this was added in post-production.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Can you send me these files?

Sarah said...

No problem, check your email . . .